Parents Challenge partners with National School Choice Week every year to host a school fair that promotes the variety of school options in Colorado Springs. On January 21, 2023 over 70 vendors participated including traditional public, private, charter, homeschool, community organizations and businesses. Families gathered information on a wide variety of educational resources, as well as enjoyed entertainment, prizes, food and games.
Parent Empowerment Sessions
Parents Challenge offers a variety of empowerment sessions to both parents and scholars. All recipients of a Parents Challenge scholarship must complete 6 sessions per year. Session topics are chosen by our parents in a yearly focus group and are designed to provide resources and tools which create opportunities for educational success. Sessions are open to the public. To see the full schedule and registration link click here Parent Advocacy Sessions | Parent Meetings | Parents Challenge.
- This session provided health-related resources to our families through community outreach from 9 organizations in Colorado.
- Speakers: Lisa Jenkins, BSW, M.ED Founder/CEO Kingdom Builders Family Life Center & Joi Miller, Founder The Makarios Project
- Watch Session
- This session taught parents and children how to maximize their character strengths. Betsy discussed the 24-character strengths that make up what’s best about a person’s personality and to remember that everyone possesses each characteristic but to different degrees.
- Speaker: Betsy Brown, Thrivers Leadership Foundation, Exponential Impact
- This session focused on the many math skills needed when working with money. Mary Ann worked with elementary level students on computing change back from small purchases and word problems involving money.
- Speaker: Mary Ann Hubl, Founder Monumental Math
- Watch session
In collaboration with The Richard Petritz Foundation, Parents Challenge offers a yearly STEM Camp FREE for scholars interested in technology, engineering, and the sciences. The camp will take place June 12 – 16 and will offer an immersive experience into the STEM field including trips to the Air Force Academy Planetarium, The Discovery Center, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo and Woodford Manufacturing.
Parents Challenge offers their current seniors and those entering their senior year an opportunity to attend a FREE overnight leadership camp called Rising Seniors. The scholars learn team building and leadership skills while connecting with nature. The 2023 camp will take place July 21 – 23 at Bear Trap Ranch.